“Knowing the law is one thing. It’s the skilled lawyer who knows that good representation goes far beyond just knowing the law, to also knowing the client.” -Michael Kemp
Michael E. Kemp comes to Hansen Dordell with seven years of litigation experience as a solo practitioner. After graduating from law school, Michael opened a litigation practice in St. Paul, and got his feet wet immediately trying cases ranging from simple DWI cases to major felonies, and from small claims to claims involving multi-million dollar projects. Michael built a successful practice by providing good client service and proven results for his clients.
Michael is a veteran of the United States Army where he was stationed in Italy for four years with the 173d Airborne Brigade. He brings a unique blend of hard work, paratrooper tenacity, and legal knowledge to bear when solving his clients’ legal problems.
When not at work, Michael can usually be found at the parks with his dog, Karma, playing a rousing game of pub trivia, or at home working towards his life-long goal of watching every one of the seven thousand (and rising) episodes of Jeopardy!
- Juris Doctorate Degree (J.D.), magna cum laude, University of St. Thomas School of Law
- Senior Editor, Thomas Journal of Law and Public Policy
- Recipient, President’s Scholarship
- Dean’s List, Dean’s Award in Constitutional Law, Property Law, Lawyering Skills
- Best Oralist Award, Jessup Moot Court Competition
- Regional Semifinalist, American Association of Justice Trial Advocacy Competition
- Bachelor of Arts Degree, English and Journalism, Loras College (2000)
- 173d Airborne Brigade, Vicenza, Italy (2001–2004)
- Federal Court for the District of Minnesota
- Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals
Areas of Practice
- Business Litigation
- Civil Litigation
- Probate Litigation
- Criminal Defense
- Medical Malpractice
- American Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Ramsey County Bar Association
President, 173rd Airborne Association, Chapter 15
Chapter 15 of the 173rd Airborne Association serves veterans of the 173rd and related units in the Great Lakes region, and is focused on veterans’ involvement with their community
Chairman, Ars Bellum Foundation (2014-2018)
Ars Bellum provides art therapy assistance to veterans suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder
- Adjunct Professor, University of St. Thomas School of Law (2009-2013)
- Adjunct Professor, Hamline University (2013-2014)
- University of St. Thomas “Living the Mission” Award (2012)
- Selected to the Minnesota “Rising Stars” list by Super Lawyers, 2018
- “Supremely Unique: Significant Supreme Court Opinions in 2016”— CLE on the significance of the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision in Evenwel v. Abbot and districting in state and local elections (2016)
- “Fundamentals of Starting and Building Your Law Practice”— CLE on principles of solo and small-firm practice (2016)
- Solo Practice monthly column in Minnesota Lawyer (2013–2017)
Mike’s Areas of Focus
Two Hansen Dordell Attorneys Selected for Inclusion to 2018 Minnesota Super Lawyer/Rising Stars Lists.
Hansen Dordell is pleased to commend two members of our team on their inclusion to the 2018 Minnesota Super Lawyers and Rising Stars lists. Randall Sayers has been selected to the 2018 Minnesota Super...
I wish I could tell you that the courts are there to protect your rights; that they exist to make sure that you get a fair shake if you’re ever charged with a crime. But you probably already know be...