“Obtaining results through issue clarity is what drives me.” -Craig B. Nichols
Craig B. Nichols, a partner at Hansen Dordell, is an expert in the areas of workers’ compensation and related employment law. One of his goals is to make complex fields of law more easily understandable to his clients. He accomplishes this by conducting seminars designed to give clients a full background of the law and introduce them to new laws that might affect their cases.
Craig studied in Scotland during college and Lyon, France, during law school. He also interned at the Canadian Parliament. Craig’s penchant for globetrotting resulted in one of the most fortuitous trips of his life––the one where he met his Canadian-born wife-to-be at a train station in the mountains of France. They rode the train together and talked all the way to their destination. Always a gentleman, Craig made sure she got the last remaining seat on the train car and the rest, as they say, is history.
These days, Craig, Marie and their two daughters continue to take trips abroad. An avid outdoorsman, Craig also takes several trips closer to home as a guide for groups that hike, canoe and portage through the Boundary Waters Canoe Area in Northern Minnesota.
- Juris Doctorate Degree (J.D.), cum laude, Hamline University School of Law (1987-1990)
- Editor of Hamline Law Review (1989-1990)
- Bachelor of Arts Degree (B.A.), Journalism and Mass Communication; Political Science, Iowa State University (1983 – 1987)
- U.S. District Court- District of Minnesota
- U.S. Court of Appeals- Eighth Circuit
Areas of Practice
- Workers’ Compensation
- Employment Law
- Ramsey County Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Wisconsin State Bar Association
Craig has served on the boards of local private schools and has been actively involved in sports-related issues.
- Named to 2017 Edition of The Best Lawyers®, Inclusion in the area of “Workers’ Compensation Law – Employers”
- Selected for inclusion in the 22nd Edition of The Best Lawyers in America in the field of Workers’ Compensation Law – Employers, 2015
- Named to The Best Lawyers in America® list, 2010 – present
- Named to Super Lawyer list by Mpls-St.Paul Magazine
- Hamline Silver Gavel award, Hamline University School of Law
- Dean’s Merit Scholarship, Hamline University School of Law
- Selected to “The Best Lawyers in America 2019” list in the 2019 edition of Best Lawyers
- Workers’ Compensation Law
- Understanding Medical and Rehabilitation Issues, Workers’ Compensation Practice in Minnesota, Minnesota State Bar Association
- Work-Related Mental Injuries: Minnesota’s Compensability Standards, Hamline Law Review (Vol. 22, No. 1)
- Entitlement and Availability of Wage Loss Benefits, Introduction to Workers’ Compensation, Lorman Education Services
- Permanent Total Disability Benefits, Workers’ Compensation Institute, Minnesota State Bar Association
- Arising Out of and In the Course and Scope, Minnesota Workers’ Compensation Symposium
- Wage Loss Benefits in Minnesota, Sterling Education Seminars
- Multiple on-site seminars
Craig regularly presents at seminars throughout the country on issues of Minnesota and Wisconsin Workers’ Compensation law.
Craig’s Focus Areas
Hansen Dordell is pleased to commend five members of our firm for their recognition in The Best Lawyers in America© 2019. Recognized in the category of Workers’ Compensation Law were James A. Schap...
A recent decision of the Minnesota Supreme Court underscores the importance of reviewing and challenging the scope of vocational rehabilitation plans recommended by the vocational experts assigned to ...
Does any injury arise out of employment in Minnesota simply because an employee has pain at work? The answer is – it depends. Minnesota Workers’ Compensation law recognizes that employers take...