“Finding creative, proactive ways to protect an estate that an individual or a couple has spent a lifetime building is one of the most-rewarding parts of being a lawyer.” -Paul Funke
Hansen Dordell associate Paul D. Funke has been working on trust and estate, and other legal issues for several years. He owned and managed a boutique firm focusing on wills and estates for four years, and for the past 2.5 years worked with U.S. Bank in both trust administration and trust compliance to ensure the regulatory and policy requirements of its Community Banking Division were met. Paul volunteers in the Wills for Heroes program which provides first responders and their spouse with an attorney to assist in preparing wills and other estate planning documents on a pro bono basis.
- Juris Doctorate, William Mitchell College of Law, 2010 – 2013
- Bachelor of Arts, University of Northern Iowa, 2006 – 2010
Areas of Practice
- Wills, Estate and Trust planning
- Estate Administration/Probate
- Trust Administration
- Supplemental Needs/Special Needs Trust Planning
- Estate Litigation
- Business Succession Planning
Paul’s Focus Areas
Paul Funke is there for people who do not think they need a will or an estate plan, we remind them that without their own plan the IRS and State of Minnesota have one waiting for them – and it’s not a good plan. We will explain in clear, simple language the wide variety of planning options available to an individual or a couple, from simple joint ownership and beneficiary designations to complex trusts with multiple beneficiaries. When a death occurs, we guide our clients through the estate administration process, provide advice about probate and guide you through the tax issues that may arise.
People sometimes become incapacitated due to age, illness or injury. In those cases, it may be necessary for a family member, friend or independent party to be appointed as a guardian or conservator in order to have the legal authority to care for the incapacitated person.
Paul Funke knows occasionally, disputes arise among beneficiaries of trusts and estates or between fiduciaries and beneficiaries. In the event of a dispute relating to a trust or estate, our attorneys will work with you to resolve the dispute in an efficient and respectful manner.
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Ramsey County Bar Associations
- The Twin Cities Estate Planning Council
- Selected to the Minnesota “Rising Stars” list by Super Lawyers, 2021
- William Mitchell Merit Scholarship
- William Mitchell College of Law Dean’s List