“I always listen fully and respond.” -James A. Schaps
James A. Schaps has been a litigator in both workers’ compensation and personal injury liability cases for over 35 years. Over the last 20 years, he has also regularly served as a Mediator/Arbitrator in workers’ compensation and personal injury liability matters and mediates 150+ injury claims annually.
“Jamie” is a proponent of Hansen Dordell’s open and friendly client services environment. “Some firms can get hung up on their ‘image’ as lawyers but that’s not the case at Hansen Dordell. There has never been a client or a lawyer who has told me they were ‘uncomfortable’ in our office. While we deal with serious issues affecting people’s lives, we don’t forget that our clients comes first; they are the most important part of our job.”
- Juris Doctorate Degree, William Mitchell College of Law, 1984
- Bachelor of Arts Degree, Business Management and Economics, University of St. Thomas, 1980
- U.S. District Court- District of Minnesota
Areas of Practice
- Workers’ Compensation Litigation
- Workers’ Compensation Mediation
- Personal Injury Litigation
- Personal Injury Mediation and Arbitration
- Mediation and Arbitration for Individuals
- Mediation and Arbitration for Businesses
- Ramsey County Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Wisconsin State Bar Association
- Past Member and Chairman, City of Lino Lakes, MN, Planning and Zoning Commission, 1990-2004
- Named to The Best Lawyers in America© for Workers’ Compensation Law – Employers since 2013.
- Inducted into the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA), November 2014
- Regularly selected to the Minnesota “Super Lawyers” list by Super Lawyers
- Introduction to Workers’ Compensation in Minnesota (MN CLE), Chairman and Presenter, 1992-Present
- Minnesota Workers’ Compensation Deskbook (MN CLE), “Coordination of Workers’ Compensation Benefits,” Past and Current Chapter Author, 1995-Present
- Minnesota Workers’ Compensation Institute (MN CLE), Past Co-Chair and Presenter, Multiple Years
- Frequent Presenter at Hansen Dordell Seminars, Out of State Presentations, 1985-Present
James’ Areas of Practice
James A. Schaps knows workers’ compensation mediation can save both sides’ litigation and discovery costs by working to resolve the issues prior to incurring the costs associated with expert depositions, hearing preparation, and possible appeals. Let us help.
James A. Schaps knows individuals look to us for representation in matters involving personal injury. Whether the matter involves an automobile accident, slip-and-fall, dog bite, products liability, dram shop claims, natural gas explosion or other injury-producing event, we have the experience, technical knowledge and resources to represent you.